Thursday, September 22, 2016

Dates That Stick With You

August 24, 2016,  I walked into the crawl space of my house in search of a tent, by the request of my twins. I was reluctant to get it, because truthfully, I really did not want a tent put up in the house, but I followed through with their request. As my body was doing a new yoga pose to reach this Luke Sky Walker tent, I felt a lump in my breast. Panic, yes panic was my immediate reaction! After delivering the tent to the twins I rushed to the bathroom, to check if this really could be a lump. I mean, really, who on earth finds a lump in their breast by standing on their head while searching for a toy!I call for my husband to come and verify that this is a concern, and yes, he said I needed to call the doctor. Well, I have been in severe pain laying on the floor and my husband has stepped over me and told me I would be just fine (that was after a cyst ruptured on my ovary). So, I knew I should panic even more!

So, I called UT medical center where I go to get my annual mammogram. It seemed like a normal call, and I left a message. My next step was to call my insurance, because the previous year my insurance did not pay anything on the mammogram, because it was out of network. All the other years the same insurance had been in network with UT, so I was not going the make the same mistake twice! I called to see if UT was in network and what my options were regarding surgeons. That night I reached out to my aunt who had breast cancer to see who she went to and yes my insurance included him. I am sure she thought I was over reacting!

The next day I got a call from UT and they scheduled an appointment for me two weeks out. Well, I thought this was a bit long, but I knew my medical needs were no greater than any other woman experiencing the same thing, but I did think that it was a bit long. Another aunt agreed with me and told me to call my primary doctor to see if she could get me in sooner. Yes, she did think that was too long to wait especially after I told her it felt like a lima bean. She was able to get me in on Aug 30, my 18th wedding anniversary. I only had to wait a week...

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Marti. We will be praying with you as you travel on this journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I can truly feel God's peace that only He gives. So thankful I am His!

      Delete