Friday, September 30, 2016

The Biopsy

Nine days passed before my biopsy. During that time I was not very stressed. I had received the report from the doctor regarding the mammogram and ultra sound, I felt very good about it. The chances of me having breast cancer was 16.8% and >20% before I was 90! These statistics sounded very good to me and the reassuring words of Dr. Baker letting me know he really did not think this was cancer put me at ease.

When I parked in front of the building where I was having the biopsy, a flood of memories came rushing to me. I had taken my Mother to this same place for an injection in her back, with regards to her cancer. How we sat together in the waiting room and the amount of pain she was in while waiting. After reviewing my scriptures I headed in to the biopsy alone. I was told I could drive myself home, so I did not see any reason to take anyone with me.

I received excellent care from Carol and Dr. Walsh. I just chatted up a storm with them. Telling them about the Carol I had worked with at the NEDC (National Embryo Donation Center), how wonderful she was and about the miracle birth of my embryo adopted twins. They both made the experience as pleasant as possible and since I really did not have any fear it was cancer, I was doing quite well. This was just a precaution and I was following through with the procedure.  That is until Dr. Walsh looked at me and said, "I want you got get a SURGEON and I will call you with the results tomorrow. We will refer a list of doctors for you to choose from, but I want you to be thinking about who you would choose." Well, for once in the whole procedure I was speechless! I had chosen a surgeon the night I found the lump, but I could not even tell Dr. Walsh this. I tried so hard to hold it together while they did another mammogram and gave me instructions on how to care for my breast that was just biopsied.

I am happy to say that I made it to the car. Once I hit the car the tears came flowing down. Is this what the doctors said to all patients? "Find a SURGEON?" I did not think so, so I called my friend, Jennifer who had just recently had breast cancer and had been down the path that looked like I was about to take. She talked with me prayed with me and loved on me. What a dear friend in Christ I have. I pulled myself together and went to school to eat with my kids, because life still goes on.

The next 35 hours were a bit uneasy. I went to my Thursday night Bible study, shared my experience with the girls and both of them said this does not sound good. My friend Amy's baby was diagnosed with retinoblastoma when he was just an infant and now at 13 they still go to St. Jude at least every year. ( Read about his story here: http://www.stategazette.com/story/1115568.html ). She knew first hand how doctors just have to be straight forward and tell it like it is, which is how they should be. My friend Olivia, who is an RN for Children's Hospital felt the same way. We knew Dr. Walsh must have done so many biopsies, that he recognized cancer when he saw it. So we prayed. We prayed for God's will to be done, for protection and health.

A prayer from my sweet friend,"Lord, please give Marti your peace, comfort and strength. Father, place your healing hand on her body...may she take encouragement in your faithfulness, great love for her. In Jesus name amen.."

No comments:

Post a Comment